16 Jul Ep 27: Prioritizing Human Needs with Emily Ladau
In this episode of Thriving Together, Emily Ladau shares her experience with exclusion and disassociation from disability in social settings. As she grew older, Emily realized the importance of embracing her disability identity and seeking out friendships with others who share her experiences, but will she be able to find the validation and meaningful friendships she craves? Tune in to find out.
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Discover the significance of disability and chronic illness representation in fostering friendships and community-building.
- Learn how the experiences of exclusion and disconnection affect people with disabilities in social settings.
- Understand the crucial role of friendship and community in the lives of individuals with chronic illness and disability.
- Gain insights into the human elements of accessibility planning for marginalized communities.
- Appreciate the power of empathy and kindness when interacting with people experiencing chronic illness and disability.
Say hello to Emily Ladau, an accomplished advocate and expert on disability rights and chronic illness experiences. With a lifetime of personal experience under her belt, Emily embodies the strength and resilience many young adults navigating their own disabilities and chronic illnesses can look up to. Growing up, Emily initially felt embarrassed by her disability and tried to distance herself from others with similar conditions. However, in time she learned the beauty of truly inclusive friendships – free from limitations, and celebrated each person’s unique experiences. Emily’s journey serves as an inspiration to countless others in finding validation and meaningful connections within their own lives.
Follow + Connect with Emily!
The key moments in this episode are:
00:00:00 – Introduction,
00:01:17 – Accessibility and Inclusion,
00:05:45 – Being the Only One,
00:09:02 – Dealing with Misunderstandings,
00:13:11 – Friendship and Disability,
00:15:29 – The Identity Struggle,
00:18:40 – Balancing Self-Identity,
00:21:50 – Friendships and Disability,
00:26:01 – Demystifying Disability,
00:29:16 – Hope for Understanding,
00:31:09 – Disability Etiquette,
00:32:46 – Empathy Education,
00:35:49 – Disability and Humanity,
00:37:01 – Kindness to Ourselves,
00:38:49 – Having the Audacity to Thrive,